Ever since I have eaten solid food, I have professed to hating courgette. Only a few days ago I was moaning on Facebook about how much I hate that unimaginative restaurants always serve courgette as the vegan option.
In fact, I was away with the hubby (celebrating our 1st wedding anniversary!) when I nearly cried in a restaurant when I found out that the vegan option for the main course was a courgette salad.
Nasty, yukky, slimy stuff!
So… imagine my surprise when I “forced” myself to eat said salad, only to find that I really really enjoyed it?! So much so that I actually went and bought a courgette when I got home and made the below delightful salad with a super delish dressing. Recipe as follows!
Chilli and lime dressing:
- Juice of one lime.
- 2 x tbsp. Cider vinegar
- 1 x tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x tsp Sesame oil
- ¼ x Red chilli (thinly sliced)
- 1 x tsp Chopped chives
- 1 x tsp Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 x tsp Ground cumin
- ¼ x tsp Cayenne pepper
Mix all ingredients together in a jug and leave to one side.
Courgette and chickpea salad:
Ingredients (makes two large portions):
- Mixed leaves (I used rocket, watercress, spinach and red chard)
- ½ x Onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 x Garlic cloves (de-germed and thinly sliced)
- ¼ x cup Pine nuts
- 1 x tsp Sesame seeds (I used black)
- 1 x cup Cooked chickpeas Juice of half a lemon
- 1 x Medium courgette (cut into ribbons using a peeler)
- 1 x cup Cooked green lentils
- Optional: Nutritional yeast to garnish
- Place the courgette ribbons in a bowl and pour over the lemon juice. Set to one side.
- In a lightly oiled pan, gently heat the onion, garlic and pine nuts. You want the pine nuts to turn a golden brown without the garlic burning.
- Add the black sesame seeds and chickpeas and continue cooking until the chickpeas are heated through.
- Add the courgette and juice to the pan and toss until the contents of the pan is well mixed.
- Add the lentils and heat until they are heated through.
- On a plate, arrange a bed of the mixed leaves. In the centre, place half of the chickpea-courgette mixture. Drizzle on as much of the dressing as preferred.
- If using, sprinkle some nutritional yeast over the top.
I still can’t believe how after all these years I have managed to change my opinion of these little green wonders! Definitely a great recipe for anyone who is as unsure about courgette as I am.