Tasty vegan carrot cake, anyone?
Since the late night flap jack lasted all of 5 minutes, I turned my attentions to carrot cake. Mmmm, carrot cake.
I’ve made vegan carrot cake a couple of times but this one is more of my own recipe. Hence how the whiskey got into the topping….. 😉
The cake is rich and spicy whilst the topping is smooth and creamy, sweet but tangy.
Vegan carrot cake
- 215 g grated carrot
- 100 g currants
- 20 g fresh or frozen grated ginger
- 100 g vegan marg
- 170 g caster sugar
- 75 g oil (I used olive)
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 200 ml pure orange juice
- 280 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- 160 g icing sugar
- 125 g marg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 tsp whiskey (I used Black Grouse)
- A sprinkles worth of mixed seeds (I used pumpkin, sunflower and flax).
- Pre-heat the oven to 170oC.
- Cream the marg and sugar together until pale and fluffy (I find a hand whisk is best for this). Add 50 g of the oil and whisk some more (don’t add more than 50 g oil at this stage or you’ll end up with a dense gloop!).
- In a separate bowl, mix together the carrot, currants, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, remaining oil and orange juice together. When well stirred, fold in the creamy marg and sugar mix.
- Next, gently fold in the flour, salt and baking powder into the mixture. .
- Pour into a well-greased tin. You want the mixture to be a couple of inches deep at least so use something like a 10” x 10” or 12” x 12”
- Bung into the oven for 30 mins. Stick a skewer or knife into the centre at around 25 mins to gauge if the cake is going to need more or less time than 30 mins (the size of the cake tin will affect this).
- Take out of the oven and leave in the tin for 5 mins before turning out onto a wire cooling rack.
- Whilst the cake is cooling, make the topping:
- Whizz the marg until soft then add the icing sugar a spoonful at a time until it is all blended. Then whizz in the whiskey and vanilla. Cover and leave in the fridge for 15 mins or until the cake is cool.
- When the cake is COMPLETELY cooled (and not a second less or your topping will melt, separate and fall off), spread the topping over the top. Finally sprinkle a few seeds over the top to act as a both a decoration and a source of omega 3 & 6.
This cake would probably serve 12 people, unless you’re feeding a group of greedy gits like me….