Mmm, I love these syrupy, coconutty, biscuitty discs of delightfulness <3
My original inspiration for this recipe was off the BBC Good Food recipe. But they were pretty easy to veganise.
And if you can live without harming others, why wouldn’t you?
- 85g porridge oats
- 85g desiccated coconut
- 100g plain flour
- 100g sugar
- 110g vegan marge (plus a little extra for greasing your baking trays)
- 1 tbsp. golden syrup
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180oC.
- In a large bowl, mix the oats, coconut, flour, sugar and bicarbonate of soda.
- In a small pan, melt the marge before stirring in the syrup until completely mixed. Stir in the apple cider vinegar.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients and slowly pour in the marge mixture whilst stirring. Keep on stirring until all of the marge has been absorbed.
- The mixture will seem a little dry but that’s ok. You should be able to roll heaped-teaspoon amounts into balls.
- Place each ball onto a greased baking tray and squish down into a thick disc shape (around ¼ inch high). The key is to squash as flat as you can without causing the edges to over crack – you want to maintain a round shape.
- Remember to leave room in between each biscuit to allow for spreading.
- Put into the oven for 12 minutes.
- Halfway through cooking, squish each biscuit with the back of a spatula to flatten them down.
- Keep an eye on the biscuits in case they cook faster than the 12 minutes. You can tell when they are done because they will be a beautiful golden brown and won’t squash any flatter when you press them with the spatula.