Have you ever booked a weekend away and picked the hotel purely on the basis that it was in the same city as a café that sells vegan cupcakes…. only to find out that the café was sold 2 months’ earlier and now isn’t even vegetarian?!
That was my valentine’s weekend, haha! Aww well, we still had a lovely time 🙂
Anyway, hubby bought me a silicone cupcake kit for Christmas so I decided to christen it by making lemon and poppy seed cupcakes. I loosely based the recipe on this non-vegan version and I have to admit that I was pretty smug about the result! Seriously soft and fluffy but delightfully tangy and not too sweet… I ate 7 out of 12, whoops! And my favourite part? They rose! It might be pancake day today but these beauties were most definitely NOT vertically challenged!
Lemon and poppy seed cupcakes:
Ingredients (Makes 12):
- 13/4 x cups self-raising flour
- 1 x tbsp. slightly toasted poppy seeds*
- 3/4 x cup sugar
- Zest of 2 un-waxed lemons
- 3 x tsp No-Egg in 6 x tbsp. water (whisked together until white and frothy)
- 1 x tsp baking powder
- 1/3 x cup soya yoghurt (or any other dairy-free variety)
- ½ x cup vegan friendly marg
- 1/3 x cup soya milk (or any other dairy-free variety)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 12 x cupcake cases ( I used silicone).
*(Toast in a dry frying pan on a medium heat for 1 – 2 mins)
- Preheat oven to 180oC.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, zest (reserve a quarter for decoration), poppy seeds and baking powder.
- In another bowl, electric-whisk up the No-Egg and water before adding the marg, followed by the sugar, yoghurt, milk and finally the lemon juice.
- A spoonful at a time, add the dry ingredients into the wet and gently fold in. A silicone spatula is great for this
- Using a couple of teaspoons (one for scooping, one for scraping), distribute the mixture evenly between the 12 cupcake cases.
- Put in the oven and bake for 15 mins or until golden brown. A skewer should come out clean when inserted into the centre of each.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.
These cakes are so tasty that they don’t really need icing. However, just to pretty them up, I added a small swirl of the following onto each and topped with some extra poppy seeds and a sprinkling of zest:
- 4 x tbsp. icing sugar
- 1/3 x cup vegan friendly marg
- ½ x cup vegan cream cheese (I used Violife)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Whizz together the marg, cream cheese and lemon juice using an electric mixer.
- Whizz in the icing sugar, cover and pop in the fridge for 20 mins or so.
- Once the cupcakes are COMPLETELY COOLED you can either spoon or pipe a small amount of icing onto each cake.
Perfect with a cup of tea!