When I lived at home with my parents, my Mum and I would sometimes stay up together watching American trash telly such as “Rock of Love”. It would get to about 11:00pm and I would turn to my Mum, pull my best sad face and tell her I was hungry. This would more often than not result in her getting up and making me her delicious flapjack.
I have no clue what my Mum puts in hers (apart from oats, obviously!) but tonight I found myself craving a slice of syrupy goodness. So here goes my quick and easy vegan flapjack.
I’m going to say that this recipe serves two people, since I shared with the hubby, but to be honest I could easily have eaten it all in one go!
- 60 g vegan margarine
- 15 g Demerara sugar
- 20 g golden syrup
- 80 g rolled oats
- 20 g oat bran (if you have no oat bran, just replace with 20 g of more oats)
- 50 g currants
1. Preheat the oven to 190oC.
2. Stick a small pan on top of your scales. Calibrate and add the marg. Calibrate and add the sugar etc etc until all of your ingredients are in there.
3. Next stir over a low heat until everything has melted together (don’t let it burn, there is nothing quick and easy about cleaning burnt flapjack mix off your pan). Pour onto a well-greased baking tray and flatten out until about 1.5 cm thick.
4. Bake for 10 – 15 mins. The flapjack will harden as it cools so score out your portions with a knife whilst it’s still hot (Carefully!). Try not to overcook the flapjack as the currants will become bitter if burned.
5. SCOFF THE WHOLE LOT!